Facebook Twitter Pinterest

Historic Sites > Bridgewater

Legend: Zagat Rated Zagat Rated Pet Friendly Pet Friendly Farm to Table Farm to Table Take 1/2 to Go Restaurant Take 1/2 to Go Restaurant

Historic Sites

American Redoubt

American Redoubt
1824 Bolmer Farm Road
Bridgewater, NJ 08807

Places Nearby

   An outstanding and rare example of an American field fortification, the American Redoubt is typical of the earthworks that were erected by both sides in the area during the war. It is one of the few remaining intact and unaltered Revolutionary War redoubts left in the United States. This particular earthwork was constructed in June 1777 to protect the right flank of the Continental Army Camp at Middlebrook, and was also used during the Middlebrook Cantonment of 1778-1779. The site is marked and open to the public courtesy of the Spring Run development.

Middlebrook Encampment and Cantonment (Washington Camp Ground)

Middlebrook Encampment and Cantonment (Washington Camp Ground)
Middlebrook Road/Miller Lane
Bridgewater, NJ 08807

Places Nearby
Visit Website

This area was the scene of two encampments of major portions of Washington's Continental Army. 

Van Horne House

Van Horne House
941 E. Main Street
Bridgewater, NJ 08807

732-356-8856
info@heritagetrail.org
Places Nearby
Visit Website

   The Van Horne House probably dates back to the late 18th century.   Known as "Phil's Hill," the home was named after Phillip Van Horne, a Bridgewater merchant, and was extensively remodeled in the middle decades of the 19th and 20th centuries. It was the site of numerous important events during the Revolutionary War, including the Battle of Bound Brook. The home was used at various times by Generals Lincoln, Stirling, Lee and Cornwallis. The house is owned by Somerset County and operated by the Heritage Trail Association.

Van Veghten House

Van Veghten House
9 Van Veghten Drive
Bridgewater, NJ 08807

908-218-1281
schs@schsnj.com
Places Nearby
Visit Website

   Built in the early 1700s, the Van Veghten House served as headquarters for Quartermaster General Nathaniel Green during the Middlebrook Cantonment of 1778-1779. It was originally a brick one and one half story dwelling that was widened and enlarged to two and one half stories, probably prior to the Revolution.  In the late 1830s the home was updated to the Greek Revival style by Richard Van Veghten.   The Somerset County Historical Society now operates the site.

Somerset County Business Partners
VisitNJ.org

Supported in part through a grant from New Jersey Department of State,
Division of Travel and Tourism. VisitNJ.org