Pluckemin School House Center For Contemporary Art
Bedminster, NJ 07921
The Pluckemin School is a two story brick and frame former school that was constructed in 1912. Previously the Township's municipal building, it is now the headquarters of the Somerset Art Association, with frequent art exhibits in its Johnson Art Gallery.
United States Golf Association Museum, (Frothingham-Sloane House)
Far Hills, NJ 07931
This Georgian Revival mansion, constructed in 1919, was built for Thomas Frothingham and later sold to John Sloan, a prominent furniture retailer. It was designed by John Russell Pope, a leading designer of country houses for wealthy patrons early in the 20th century. He was later known for his monumental architecture in Washington, D.C., including the Jefferson Memorial. The mansion now houses the United States Golf Association Museum. Open Tuesday to Sunday 10 a.m. - 5 p.m.
Van Horne House
Bridgewater, NJ 08807
The Van Horne House probably dates back to the late 18th century. Known as "Phil's Hill," the home was named after Phillip Van Horne, a Bridgewater merchant, and was extensively remodeled in the middle decades of the 19th and 20th centuries. It was the site of numerous important events during the Revolutionary War, including the Battle of Bound Brook. The home was used at various times by Generals Lincoln, Stirling, Lee and Cornwallis. The house is owned by Somerset County and operated by the Heritage Trail Association.
Washington Rock State Park
Green Brook, NJ
Washington Rock was originally purchased in 1913 in commemoration of historical events of 1777. One of the oldest state parks in New Jersey, Washington Rock is situated on top of Watchung Mountain in Green Brook Township. The park is a popular site for picnicking and relaxing, and is best known for its scenic vista and historical significance. Washington Rock's strategic location and panoramic 30 mile view of the Raritan Valley led local resident Edward Fitz Randolph to guide General Washington there in June of 1777. During Washington's time in Middlebrook, Washington Rock served as a valuable lookout; from this vantage point, Washington was able to direct his troops to cut off British retreat. Washington Rock is currently being managed by the Somerset County Park Commission.
Abraham Staats House
South Bound Brook, NJ 08880
The Abraham Staats House is an exceptional example of 18th- and early 19th-century Dutch and Federal architecture. The Dutch section, constructed circa 1740, has Dutch-style cast-iron hinges, board-and-batten doors, Dutch mantels and woodwork and exposed beams. The Federal section has an intact door surround with delicate leaded glass and original Federal mantel.
The house was the headquarters for General Baron von Steuben in the spring of 1779 during the Continental Army's Middlebrook Cantonment (Second Middlebrook Encampment). General Washington is said to have visited Von Steuben at the house on two occasions. The house is owned by the Borough of South Bound Brook and is currently undergoing restoration. The Friends of the Abraham Staats House support the restoration, preservation and interpretation of the House. Tours are by appointment.
Bridgewater, NJ 08807
An outstanding and rare example of an American field fortification, the American Redoubt is typical of the earthworks that were erected by both sides in the area during the war. It is one of the few remaining intact and unaltered Revolutionary War redoubts left in the United States. This particular earthwork was constructed in June 1777 to protect the right flank of the Continental Army Camp at Middlebrook, and was also used during the Middlebrook Cantonment of 1778-1779. The site is marked and open to the public courtesy of the Spring Run development.